Five of My Photography Goals for 2017
and how these goals will benefit my future clients
On December 28, my 366 project ended. While it was a huge undertaking, I am so glad I stuck with it. I was able to capture a tremendous amount of documentary and lifestyle images of my children, and even a few portraits too! I took a week or so off from my daily shooting, but January 1 quickly rolled around and I felt like I HAD to start another photography project – or at least have something to focus on in 2017 – but I just didn’t know what to do. And then, after much thought, it finally came to me. I am going to make my own rules this year.
I’ve thought long and hard about my photography goals for 2017, and I want to share five of them today, so you get a better idea of what to expect from Ashley Rogers Photography.
1) Shoot When I Want. I am NOT going to do another personal daily shooting project this year. I am going to shoot for me when I want to shoot, not because I have to shoot. Chances are, I will be shooting my little girls daily, but I am not going to force myself on the days I want a break. We all need breaks, and I really don’t want to get burned out because I’m turning the focus to my clients for 2017.
2) Shoot What I Want. Two thousand and sixteen was the year of personal and artistic growth for me. I still sometimes stop and pinch myself when I realize all that I accomplished in just 366 days. Not only did photography skills greatly improve, I was accepted into a network of some of the most talented photographers in the business, I documented the heck out of our amazing first year in Costa Rica, but, most importantly, I learned what I want to focus on when I start taking on more clients in the coming year!
Nothing makes me happier than capturing real connections between family members, that’s why I am going to focus on offering unforgettable, quality fresh 48, lifestyle newborn, and lifestyle/documentary family photography -- either in your home or outdoor family play.
3) Make It Easy. My clients mean the world to me, so I’ll be working on putting together everything my clients need to make sessions easy and stress-free. This includes welcome guides that outline what to expect before, during and after a session (including a what to wear guide!) new package offerings to meet my clients’ needs and client referral programs!
4) Out With The Old, In With The New. Change can be scary, but it can also be really, really good. I’m going to change up many things this year, with the end goal to have a more cohesive brand. To start, a new logo is in the works and I’m also working on updating my website. I can’t wait to share it with you all when it’s done! I’m also going to be blogging a lot more than I did last year, but the content will be different than what you are used to seeing. I’ll still post photos of the kids and share some of our exciting adventures in Costa Rica, but I’ll also be blogging client sessions, sharing photography tips and tricks, and writing short and easy-to-read posts that will benefit my future clients. I can’t wait to get started!
5) Share the Knowledge. Last year, I stepped out of my comfort zone a little and offered a trial run of an entry-level course on photography. This four-week course covers all the basics, from how to shoot in manual mode, tips to nail focus, guidance on light and key rules for composition. The trial run was such a hit, and I plan to offer a second run in February. The course is available in-person in Santa Ana, Costa Rica (will be capped at 8 participants) or can be taken online for any of my followers in Orlando, Florida, or any other location. Go ahead and fill out this form if you would like more information about this opportunity.
As of now, the plan is for us to move back to Orlando in August. I’ll be sad to leave Costa Rica, but am also anxious to move back “home” and hit the ground running with my business. I’ll be booking clients in the Santa Ana, Costa Rica area through summer 2017 and then I’ll be offering sessions in the Orlando, Florida, area beginning in the fall. If you’re interested in one of these sessions, I’d love for you to contact me to learn more about how I can capture memories for your family!